Miyerkules, Agosto 21, 2013

A Day in the New Bilibid Prison



At the facade of the Maximum Security Camp, New Bilibid Prison, Muntinlupa City. 

The Purpose of our Visit

Last August 4, 2013, our group went to the Penitentiary well known as the New Bilibid Prison to have an immersion with the inmates in the Medium Security Camp. The purpose of the activity is to help the participants realized that people who are convicted are not really bad. Thus, they deserved to have a second chance.


Initial Expectations

When I was told that our service learning would be visiting the Bilibid, I don't know what to expect. As such, when we reached the penitentiary, I'm just excited to see what's behind those Walls. At first, I felt a bit scared but my worries were erased when I finally had conversations with them. One of the inmates asks me if it's my first time. Maybe because they felt I'm uncomfortable. He told me that if I'm scared, they are scared too.


The society’s impression with New Bilibid

Before my close encounter with the inmates, I know that the society perceived them as a stigma. The term “New Bilibid” is really associated with negative words one can think of. As what the President of the Scholars’ guild said to us, the outside world is really harsh to the inmates. Needless to say, they are discriminated by the society and I'm not an exception. I also looked at them as an infamy before. Now, my perspective was changed. The activity was an eye-opener for me. I finally realized that although they were in the wrong side of the law, they still deserve respect. More importantly, they deserve a second chance. And, the society cannot deprive them as such.


Main Gate to Medium Security Camp

A perspective Inside the Medium Security Camp

Inside the camp is a community with different brigades. They have their own school where they actually study different courses such as entrepreneurship. There’s a Mosque for the Muslims and a Church for the Catholics. There is a basketball court, a park, billiard area, and if I’m not mistaken, a karaoke place. Big thanks to all contributors especially the rich men who experienced living inside the penitentiary. They generously donated part of their money to help improve the penitentiary’s facilities.

It was Sunday when we visited the penitentiary. Hence, their families are with them, spending their whole day inside the Bilibid. The Bilibid was very crowded and I don’t know if it’s because it’s family time or it’s their norm. Likewise, some inmates told us that the penitentiary is better than what they have in their respective provinces. Some say that their conditions are the same. As such, one cannot feel that they are in jail since it feels like you are in a community similar from the outside world except for the guards who keep an eye with the inmates.

Side gate of the Medium Security Camp.

One on one conversation with inmates

I had the opportunity to have a conversation with some of the inmates. One of them is Kuya Edgar Cawayan. He was from Cebu. He was convicted for the crime of Murder subject to 17 to 30 years sentence. He was in the Maximum Security Camp for 14 years and was transferred to the Medium Security Camp. He managed to live inside the Bilibid for more than 17 years now.

Kuya Edgar shared to us that life inside the Bilibid is not easy. They have to suppress their loneliness. More importantly, they have to manage their own life together with other inmates. They have to make themselves busy in order to deviate their sadness. He also told us that they have their own recreational activities such as handcrafting and press printing for shirts. As to his personal life, he gladly shared to us that he always sent his share in the profits to his families in Cebu. In that way, he can still help his family even if he is miles apart from them.

I also had the opportunity to talk to Kuya Reyman Buella.  He was also convicted for the crime of Murder. He is a married man. More often than not, his wife visits him and they usually spent a night together. For this part, his co-inmates are generous enough to give them a room although it is not allowed. But of course, as a trademark of a Filipino, they can find ways how to conceal this thing.


From an MBA-JD student perspective

As an MBA-JD student, I always have the idea that criminals must be punish and must put into jail. Whatever personal reasons they have, these people break the laws. As such, they should suffer the consequences. This idealism is what I’ve learned in law school. However, after conviction, we don't know what will happen afterwards including how their life will be after being rehabilitated in the penitentiary. Usually, we feel indifferent since it’s none of our business to know their situation in jail.


My Contribution to the inmates

With this regard, I hope even for that short span of time, I was able to impart that there is still hope by instilling to them that one day they will be able to go back to their families because definitely, they have to leave the premises of the penitentiary and face the real world again. Moreover, I hope that I have inspired them in such a way that after they have served their sentences, there is still life waiting for them behind the walls of the Bilibid prison; and that they are still welcome by the society as they are still part of the society. And, above all, I hope that somehow I have helped them attenuate their anxieties for being discriminated by the time they get out of the penitentiary.



My Appreciation in this Service Learning Activity

What I really appreciated in our CSR service learning in the new Bilibid prison was when they thanked us for just by listening to their sentiments and letting them feel that by the time they will finally leave the four corners of the penitentiary, they are still welcome by the community. Thus, spend the rest of their life with integrity and peace of mind.

1 komento:

  1. May I have your permission to use your photo of the Medium Security Prison's Main Gate. I will acknowledge your blog site.
    Thank you! Ricky Abad

    TumugonBurahin